Orthodontist Education in 2020
Before discussing the education that is needed to become an orthodontist it is important to know what they are, what jobs they perform, where they will be working, and their schedule to make sure that this is a career you want to pursue.
What is an orthodontist?
In this medical profession it is a dentist that specialize in the field of orthodontics and major in the prevention and correction of irregularities in your teeth. This field use to be called orthodontia which is derived from two Greek word orthos and dontos which means straight teeth. When you become an orthodontist it means that your main job focus will be to provide your patients of all ages with a beautiful healthy smile.
Orthodontist job description
The basic job description of an orthodontist is for them to realign and strengthen the jaw and teeth with the application of orthodontic retainers and braces. An orthodontist will provide treatment to patients who have oral cavity anomalies and dental malocclusions. They may also be involved in a public health education program showing people how to take care of their teeth.
Some of the many job duties that an orthodontist may perform can include:
- Analyzing x-rays and dental photos of their patients and then developing the right treatment plan.
- Examining the dental and medical histories of their patients.
- Diagnosing any teeth and jaw abnormalities
- Fit and adjust as needed the dental devices that their patients are wearing
- Designing and constructing dental devices such as labial and lingual arch wires and retainers and space maintainers.
- Teaching their patients on the correct teeth-cleaning methods
- Promoting oral hygiene
- Helping to organize public health programs to help educate people on what not to eat and what to eat to help keep their teeth healthy
An orthodontist will also help a patient who has protruding teeth, shifting jaws, chewing problems, facial asymmetry, etc. They also work with other dental specialists like a dental surgeon to help devise an alternative way of treating their patients. Being an orthodontist you will need to be familiar with the different instruments that an orthodontist would use like drills, braces, mouth mirrors, and x-ray machines. More